Friday, August 5, 2011

School # 2

If you have not read my first post on school....then scroll down past this post and read that one first.


Early in our marriage, I used to daydream of what of what our children would be like. I doodled their hypothetical names (none of which we used) on paper, I contrived the perfect birth order of boys and girls in my little plan (that boy plan worked real well for us) and I even had thought way beyond their births on what schooling we would choose for these un-concieved babies. I just KNEW our kids would go to public school. It was the ONLY option. I grew up from preschool - 9th grade in a private Christian school and I just could not foresee spending that much money on an comparable education that they could get for free. Secondly, how in the world could I claim Christ and the great commission if I plucked my littles in some fancy smancy school where they weren't really exposed to the world. Desicion made. (Or so I thought:))

***Sidenote- I just love looking back over my life and my "plans" that I made. I know God must get a true kick out of watching us believe we have any real control over our lives. It must also be somewhat painful as our Heavenly Father wants so desperately for us to truly relinquish that grip that we cling so tightly to.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

Fast forward 6 years. Our oldest (who was supposed to be a boy and named Ryland according to my plan) will start school in just a few short weeks. Our sweet Naomi. Kind, gentle, loving, little Naomi. She rocks my faith to its core because I see so much of Christ in her at such a young age. She breaths compassion. She loves deeply and loyally protects her family. As I started to consider the local public school early this year I felt a twinge of pain in my soul. I pushed it away quickly going on about my week/month. For the next few months and as early registration for school grew closer I just kept getting those funny feelings in my gut. I could not figure out what in the world God was trying to tell me. A few girls at our church had started home schooling and were trying to talk me into it. I told them they were crazy and that I just felt that if we pulled all the "good" kids out of the schools how were we ever going to reach "those" kids??? I was confident and set in my ways, my kids were going to public school. As more weeks went by, sleeping troubles set in (I have never been a great sleeper but this was more like I was up for HOURS during the night). I was stressed ALL the time (I am also usually pretty low key.) I finally let my guard down and started questioning a few people about public vs private vs (the dreaded:) home school. I prayed fervently about it for God to reveal Himself to me and Matt and to give us confidence that HIS ways are best. After MONTHS of stress we finally decided to check out the twilight zone or aka a home school convention. It really was a plethora of information.

The THREE biggest things I took away from this convention were:

1.) Just because we home school does not mean we don't have a passion for the lost and sometimes is quite the contrary
2.) We want to teach our children about glorifying God and not glorifying self. Even if unintentionally, you are measured in school by your success. You get an A, you are good. You get an F, you are bad. You sing great you are good, you can't play basketball you are bad. So on and so forth. I want my children to know that NO MATTER WHAT the circumstances they are worthy because HE IS WORTHY. All they do should be done for the glory of GOD.
3.) We want our kids to LOVE learning. I understand that is this is VERY possible in a public or private school setting. But we also think that home school allows a lot of flexibility in what we teach or do. We might even have the opportunity to go overseas when Matt is on his new boat. Talk about an awesome field trip.


***There have been very times in my life where I truly felt a HEAVY push by the Holy Spirit. I know He is always at work in me and I constantly aware of how faithful God has been to be, but this time was different. I literally can look back and SEE how much God had to change about me and my perspective to get me to this point. It has just taught me a lot about my faith. One, I am convinced that this home school journey has about as much to do with me that it does our kids. God has some serious molding to do in my heart and I have no doubt I might throw a few temper tantrums along the way. Two, and so so important, in everything we do in this world we must be vigilant in ALLOWING Him to move. We must be WILLING to open our eyes to what may seem crazy, or radical, or "stupid" to this world and allow our lives to truly be transformed. I think it is so easy to caught up in this world, in this culture, and to not even consider an option B because of it. Let us not be deceived by the devil's plan to distract us from Christ, he will lure us in, tempt us, and we must cling to cross.

Get ready for # 3!!

4 comments:

Us said...

I love how confident you are in your final decision!

The Joneses said...

I read the guy's blog that you had a link for. You're right. He totally bashes public school, but a lot of what he says pretty much sums up why I want to do homeschool...I just haven't been the best about putting my "why" into words. Have you read his "biblical reasons to homeschool" page? There are tons of scripture references about the responsibilities of parents to raise a child up to know the Lord. I'll definitely be doing some more reading of my B-I-B-L-E looking at them :)

Kelli Kennedy said...

Your posts are convicting me. UGH!

BTW, my MIL sells/teaches McGraw Hill curricculum and knows all the ins and outs of how/why to teach kids a certain way if you're interested in her as a resource. She's devoted her whole live to teaching/training up teachers.

Mama Smors said...

I am glad that you have a community of moms to home school with- I feel like that is HUGE! A support system for you and Naomi. :) Glad that you are at peace with your decision!