Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rainbow

Our sweet middle daughter. Spirited. Stubborn. Silly.

Lovely Gabby.


I have always felt a special connection to our second born. Is my love for her greater than my other girls? Absolutely Not. All of our girls stretch my heart in ways I could have never imagined. All perfect, beautiful, breath taking gifts from my Lord.

There is just something about our second born that I can't shake. I feel God speaking to me, not quite clear of what He is saying, in the quiet moments that we are alone. Me and Him. Him and Me. To give her more of something. To pray more for her. To intercede for her. I don't know if it is mommy instinct, or crazy mommy brain but I just sense something big is to come for our sweet Gabrielle. Call me prophetic, or call me crazy, but the Holy Spirit that dwells within me tells me to prepare, to seek Him more on behalf of this precious child. Maybe my God can see far beyond my handicaped vision.

Gabby stopped speaking to anyone outside our immediate family nearly a year ago. No trauma occured, no major life changes, she just stopped. Her voice however was not lacking in our home. She talked and talked and talked. She inherited a little bit of her mommy's fast talking mumbling gene, so sometimes she would get going so fast you had to tell her to stop, slow down, repeat. Her voice is sweet. It still carries that baby sound to it.

Two long weeks ago she stopped speaking to us as well. My heart ached the first day. I would just beg her for words. Any words. The second or third day frustration set in. Doubt filled my mind. I questioned everything we have done as parents. Did we cause this? Did she need more discipline? It was super frustrating. One day we were driving to her speech therapy (she started going about 6 weeks ago per advisement of her doctor for not talking outside the family) I just lost it. I was crying and screaming at my poor daughter. Definitely not one of my best parenting moments. I asked for her forgiveness later and apologized for yelling at her but told her I was still hurt by this whole vow of silence she has taken. She still communicates with us with laughter, some sign language, and head nods. I know she understands that this is hurtful to us. We are beginning to feel that this is something she can't control. The diagnosis being passed around is "selective mutism." Treatment involved includes not putting any pressure on the child to speak. This is SO hard. Our parenting has had to make a drastic shift. I need wisdom, patience, and discernment.


One afternoon Gabby and I spent some time playing together in her room. Just me and her. It was needed. Some time for just the two of us. Her personality is SO different when she is all alone. She is subdued, and calm. Spirited still but very focused. I love watching the different details come to life in our children. I bow at the throne of grace in complete awe of how perfectly my Creator made my children for me. Gems sent down from heaven. She kept mainly to herself and dressed her barbies in silence. Occasionally I would ask her a question or two and she would nod yes or no or shrug her shoulders meaning, "I don't know." I told her to come over and sit in my lap and I just starred into the beautiful brown eyes of my daughter. I whispered in her ear.


" I love you. Sweet Gabby. I love you."

" I love you. I just want to hear your voice."

" So much I love you. I just want to hear your voice."

My voice got a little louder...


"I love you. And I want you talk to me."

"I LOVE YOU. I WANT TO HEAR YOUR VOICE."



I felt it instantly. The weight of conviction heavy on my chest. My heart open and bare before my daughter pleading with her to return my love. To fill my soul with her affection. And I felt my gaze turn upward. To the King. The Master. My Abba Father. Who whispers every moment to me.


"I love you. I want to hear your voice."


It hit like a flood. We are stuck in a storm. A cloudy, scary, unexpected storm. But in the midst of the rain, through the down pour, God brings forth light. The sun so subtly sneaks in and brings warmth to a seemingly dark and dreary situation. It feels bleak. And sad. But somewhere underneath all the clouds, in the distance, the sky is clear.


Naomi's birthday is today. And a post about our oldest daughter is coming soon. But every year when we plan Naomi's party, Gabby picks a theme for her party as well. Do you know what she picked? I didn't think anything of it at the time except for all the cute ideas I can do with it. You will never believe it. Right before she stopped speaking she told me in her cute little baby voice,


"Mommy, I want a rainbow party?


A rainbow. A RAINBOW. Yes I know somewhere along the line our culture has given rainbows a bad rap. But we all know what they mean. A promise. That God will NEVER flood the earth again. That the storm we are going through will end. That beyond all the rain, all the clouds, a rainbow is there.


Oh my God is faithful. And He wants to hear my voice.



11 comments:

Skylar Apple said...

Praying for her like she's mine, Allie...and for all of you. Love you guys.

Mrs. Goebel said...

I want so badly to call you right now and tell you in my words how much this post means to me...but I can't speak for crying. I love you!

Us said...

Well said Allie. We love you and Gabby...and all the rest!

Kelli Kennedy said...

Brings tears to my eyes. His grace is sufficient!xoxo!

Mama Smors said...

oh... tears. Allie- you are an incredible mommy and I can't imagine the hurt you are feeling and the frustration at times too. Gabby must've felt so comfort by the words of how much you love her and the quiet play in her room- by herself. Praying for your family. Praying for Gabby. And knowing that rainbows promise an end to this storm :)

Stacie said...

Allie that post was so moving. You are a wonderful women of God and inspire me with Gabbys story as well as other insight you have shared with me. God has Gabby and you embraced in His arms.

Kacey said...

Reading this brought tears to my eyes...beautiful words, expressing such a beautiful heart for your daughter and for your God. Definitely praying for you and for your sweet sweet Gabby, knowing God has GREAT things in store for her. Thanks for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

Blessed by your blog! It speaks volumes in so many ways. It speaks loudly to Glorify our Father. I know He is smiling as He "hears your voice"!

The Joneses said...

Follow the Holy Spirit, Allie. Continue to pray your heart out for Gabby. You never know what God will do as a testimony of his faithfulness. He gives us eyes to see what others can not if we just ask. Sometimes I wonder what it must be like to not say anything. It's probably so much easier to be in tune with God's Spirit - and to hear his voice. God may be preparing Gabby for something you never thought possible...I'll be praying for God to use this time to speak over her with his love. Pray over her, Allie, and know that God is doing something through this. Be still and know that He is God.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't even comment before now...my heart is so broken. Sweet Gabs...of course I have been praying for her and you all...but God is truely using this time to grow you all (me also)...don't forget that He has a plan...and what a great place to be is in His plan...and He is good...no matter where He takes us, He is with us and yes He wants to hear our voices...thank you for reminding me...Love you all, Mimi M.

Connie Taylor said...

Allie we will be praying for you and the family. She will speak in her time and until then nothing will change the love she has for you and you have for her. We love you guys. May the Lord rain down His blessings on all of you.