One more day…
I find it comical how politics only exists in extremes. People either “don’t want to talk about it” or want to yell, scream, and kick to get their point across. Why can we not just have a rational, normal, conversation, using indoor voices? I sent in my absentee ballot last week. I voted for McCain. I truthfully do not idolize the Republican party. I sincerely believe both parties fall extremely short of the true heart of God. I feel I have to go where my faith leads me. I end up in the same place every time. Below are my 4 “biblically based” non negotiable priorities when it comes to my vote.
1. Human Life- I will always vote for the candidate who will protect life or will do the most to protect it. In this category I include everything from abortion and war, to crime and anything else that threatens human life. I can and would never vote for abortion to be legal. I believe from conception life exists and actually the whole issue is just an issue of selfishness in my mind. If you make a decision, then the own the outcome, whether or not you like it. With that said, I am not naive enough to think that abortion is the only issue that affects human life. EVERY person on this earth is made in the image of God, which means all life “good” or “bad” should be seen with value. I think war is a horrible tragedy that undoubtedly will exist in world full of sin. Do I think all war is of God? No. And I do believe that God will hold those accountable for “holiness” done in His name, that is no where near holy. With that said, I do believe that as we see, from the beginning of time, sometimes lives will be lost, for the sake of peace. Even if we were not at war with the middle east, lives would still be lost, maybe at a much higher rate. God breathed life into us, into ALL of humanity…not just Americans, not just the unborn, or the Democrats, or Republicans, not just the educated, not just one race….All of us.
2. Less Government—I think from the Romans, to the Pharisees, to Hitler, or to Castro…too much of something, never seems to work. Constitutionally, government was never meant to be SO BIG, to impinge on our freedoms, like how we spend our own money. What ever happened to the simple life, of getting up and going to work? Seriously. When my parents got married, they had $20. That’s it, they were poor…very poor. My dad’s car did not have a floor board…like a Flintstone car. They had to push it to start it. They have worked their entire lives to get to where they are now. They now own a small business. Raising taxes puts a huge burden on their company, on my parents, but it ripples down onto the employees that depend on them to put food on their tables. Why is my parents 30+ years of extremely hard work paying for “crappy heathcare”, college tuition, and really expensive advertisements. That is also something that I don’t understand. The country is an economic crisis, a child dies every 5 minutes of starvation…and we are spending millions of dollars for campaigns. Fabulous.
3. Sanctity of Marriage/Families- I believe that marriage/family is the fundamental foundation to what makes a country work. From the beginning of Genesis God ordains the relationship between a husband and a wife. Marriage should exist between a man and a woman. I really believe that we have allowed ourselves to become so diluted that we don’t even bat an eye to the extreme mockery of God, that goes on everyday. If you want to take God out of the picture, anatomically it only works between man and woman. Without reproduction, we would be extinct.
4. Poverty- My heart bleeds for the unfortunate, for the poor, and the hungry. I remember when I was about 10, my mom, me and my sister lived in New York City for a summer. My sister and I were obsessed with giving stuff to the poor, to the people living on the streets. As a child, I felt so helpless and so grieved that someone did not have a bed to go home to. I remember once we went to McDonald's and bought like 50 cheeseburgers and handed them out to everyone we saw. I know what God’s word says about the poor. Biblically speaking, God’s word talks about the poor a whole lot more than it does about homosexuality or abortion. Most Christians would say, but yes, they are talking to the church. They are talking to the church, but a lot of us our not listening. This forces the government to step in. Then the cycle begins…what works, what doesn’t, what enables people to work, what makes them lazier…so many questions. In the end I still think both sides help and hurt the poor…
These are my truths, when it comes to my political opinions. I don’t talk politics very often, but I figure I better get my two cents in before the BIG DAY. I am pretty sure I know the outcome, but you never know. GO AND VOTE.
PS. Please do not get all defensive, eye rolling, huffy and puffy, or anything else about what I believe...seriously I do not hate you, or even dislike you if you don't believe the same thing as me...I can deal with respected differences.....
2 comments:
I may not be voting the same as you but I like to see that for which ever way you vote you have reasons, reasons that are yours and that are researched. I can't stand the MANY MANY people that seem to vote one way just because their parents do. It annoys me beyond belief.
Thanks Sarah. It is ok to disagree. I have my reasons, and I am sure you have yours. My best friend Jenn and her husband Omar are definitely not voting the same way as me....we have managed to stay friends:)
Post a Comment