Friday, January 8, 2010

06/365

I LOVE these girls. Seriously. There are days when I honestly want to pull by hair out but it doesn't change how sometimes when I lay in bed and think about it, my heart aches of love for them.

A new emotion/feeling that has come from parenting for me is FEAR. Is this huge burden I know Satan puts into all parents hearts. Especially mothers. We are taught to be nurturing, loving, and caring...so well, that we do it so fiercely. I constantly worry about our girls and/or us. I worry or fear about something ever happening to them...would I ever be able to make it? I think about them in a year, or two, or ten, and it is almost overwhelming the fear that I can allow to consume my thoughts about their safety. 

Then I stop. I remember who I am and who I am not. Who God IS and who well, HE IS! He is their maker, their creator, their protector, their lover, their Father, their King, their shepherd, their rock, their sustainer, their friend, their warrior, their shield, their faith, and their truth. I am only here for one purpose, to point them to HIM. If I (and Matt) do that then we have done our job. God brings His peace over me. He allows be to get a glimpse of the unfathomable, pure love He has for His children. And at the end of the day I know Naomi and Gabby are His, and his love for them reaches places I can not even dream of. 

But, oh, how I love them:)          * On a lighter note see recipe below...(with pictures!) 















Hearty Mexican Soup

 

 

8-10- Chicken Tenders

2 ½ cups chick broth

1 can fiesta corn (plus one can of water)

1 can rotel tomatoes (original)

large zucchini (chopped)

½ onion (chopped)

2-3 garlic cloves (chopped)

¾ cup shredded cheddar and or Mexican blend cheese

½ cup flour

3 Tablespoons butter

EVOO

Pepper

Salt

Poultry Seasoning

Greek Seasoning

Bay Leaf

Cayenne Pepper

Serve with:

Rice

Corn Bread/Muffins

Sour Cream

 

1.)   Put raw chicken tenders on baking dish and season with greek seasoning. Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

2.)   Shred Chicken in large chunks and set aside.

3.)   In a large/deep skillet or stock pot, add two tablespoons of butter and a little EVOO. Add chopped onion, zucchini, and garlic. Sautee over med-hi heat until very tender.

4.)   Add in seasonings: 2 good shakes of pepper, 1 tsp salt, pinch of poultry seasoning, and two good shakes of cayenne pepper. Add in drained can of corn, and almost drained (leave a little juice) can of rotel. Add  in a can full of water. Add 2 cups of chicken broth. Bring to boil, and turn down to low heat and cover.

5.)   In a small saucepan or skillet, add 1 tablespoon of butter. Add in ¼ cup of flower. Stir around until dry and lumpy. Add up to ½ cup of chicken broth to roux to make paste.

6.)   Add paste to  veggie and chicken broth mixture. Using a wire wisk, stir until all lumps disappear. Add in shredded chicken and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

7.)   While soup cooks, cook rice and cornbread.

8.)   After an hour of simmering stir in ½ cup shredded cheese. Let sit for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

9.)   Enjoy: Put rice in bowl, top with soup, then sour cream, then corn bread!

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allie, you are really on the right path when it comes to parenting. I wish I had been as grounded as you are when I was raising Steph and Matt. Continue to allow God to guide you and the kids will have the background they need to know Him and rely on Him. Love you, Deb

Anonymous said...

And by the way, the soup looks good. I am going to try that recipe. Deb

Us said...

Love that last pic of the girls. It's so crip. Love you!!!!

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

That recipe looks great! I will be posting a cornbread recipe soon on my blog. I'm sure you will love it!
-marn