Sunday, January 17, 2010

17/365

We have tried out a few churches in the area....some that I liked a lot and some that Matt liked a lot. I am still not sure we have found the church that we both LOVE. I hate the idea of "church shopping" because I really do respect anyone that loves Jesus and tries their best to live their lives glorifying Him. However, I also don't want to settle. We really did like our church in GA but I not sure we loved it. I really want to love it this time.

Anyways....of two of the four churches we have visited they have handed out these forms.(See picture below) They are contracts they give to all their members in the beginning of the year and to anyone who wants to join their church through out the year. I think this is fabulous idea. Maybe I have been stuck in a cave, or lived in a small town for too long, but I have never seen a church do this. I think we as "humans" need something concrete, something tangible to look at and hold. I love that they write out on paper, "Hey, this is what we expect of you at this church." At the bottom of the paper you sign it.  I just LOVE it. I love the way both preachers (at both churches using these) explained it to. This is not some legalistic document. It is not even a legal document. It basically is a document of accountability. Loving God is a big deal. He demands our entire existence to be about Him. We (the church) want to help you in writing down what we think are some of the most important things (from scripture) you can do in your walk with Him. 

 
What do you think? 

PS. There are lots of other new posts below this one. Don't forget to read them! 

1 comment:

Tonya said...

I really like the idea of having a contract as a concrete representation of your relationship with the church. I loved my church in Norfolk and one of the things that they did before you became a member was to sit down with you and let you know explicitly what they expected of the members. My favorite expectations were the service ones, both to the church and the community. It is so important for the church and the people in it, to demonstrate their love and faith in actions as well as words.

Good luck finding a church that you love, I know how it feels to be looking for that. We've been here a year and I've still not found it but I was very spoiled in Norfolk.