Monday, May 23, 2011

Makeover Monday #2

Well another week has gone by! I think this week has been my hardest week yet. I of course did not go over my calories at all (I am actually still having trouble eating 1500 every day). It is just becoming more and more apparent that "healthy living" really is not the social norm and even resented by some. I realize HOW much of our lives revolves around eating and it is just a matter of true self control to walk away from "yummy" food.

Here are few things I have learned about myself and ways to AVOID eating way too many calories:

1.) No Grazing. I just don't do it at all. I realize that probably consumed upwards of 300-500 calories by just eating insignificant calories through out the day. This means, I can not eat 15 pretzels when I am packing lunch, or finish off one of the girls peanut butter sandwiches from lunch, or lick the bowl of brownie batter, or eat three big bites of macaroni before we have even sat down for dinner. The food I eat has to be part of a "real" meal or a "designated" snack.

2.) No Seconds. I can down some food. For real. I could eat 4 slices of pizza easy. This however is not a great weight loss plan:) So for dinner I make my plate (and we eat real normal food for dinner, lasagna, ribs, grilled chicken, tacos, ect....) and i get enough food, I eat slow and enjoy it and then I am done. No seconds.

3.) Parties/Special Events/Showers/BBQ's are not an excuse to overeat. I don't think I had any idea how many of these things we went to until now, when I am trying to LOSE weight. These might not be quite as big of an issue when just trying to maintain weight (because you can always add a little more cardio that day and make up for those 3 hot dogs) however when losing weight, I can't afford an additional 600 calories for the day. I have learned that you have to come with a plan and stick to it. It is an afternoon party after lunch and before dinner, I just don't eat. Or if it is a dinner BBQ I try to pick foods that are lowest in calories, and have a least some nutritional value. This is by far the hardest thing for me since we seem to ALWAYS have something going on.

Here is an example of how vastly different my day would have been.....

What I ate today:
Breakfast: 1/2 peanut butter (1/2 tbsp) and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread=150 cal
Coffee with creamer=20 cal
(usually have a mid morning snack but was at church and didn't have time)
Lunch: Chicken, steak, shrimp (with LOTS of green peppers and onions) fajitas w/o tortillas. With a small side of beans and guacamole.= 450 calories
Dinner: Went to a bbq.... hamburger patty with lettuce and ketchup w/o bun, small serving baked beans, and a side of fruit that I brought with me:) =450
Snack: Almonds and orange: 150 calories

What I could have easily eaten in addition:
Donut at church=100 cal
Chips and salsa, tortillas, and rice at lunch=~500 cal
Bun, pasta salad, chips, and ice cream at bbq= ~600 cal

That is an additional 1200 calories....almost a whole days worth!!!! Wow!!!


So now for the weight:

May 5th: 176.8
May 16: 172
May 23rd: 170.2

And here are my measurements:
Hips: 39 in
Waist 32 1/4 in
Bust 37 in

I lost 1.8 this week. I suspect it is actually a tad more but I am super sore and heavy feeling from my run last night. I am happy with it. I of course wish it was biggest loser style and about 12 lbs, but lets be realistic people!

So as far as the running is going, I have added a CRAZY amount of distance this week. I don't what has come over me but last night I ran 1.75 miles in 19 min and 10 seconds. I am not beating any records on my pace, but for now I am not concerned at all on how long it takes. I am so super proud! No don't get me wrong, it has been a serious challenge. I want to stop running pretty much the whole time I am going. But I just keep telling myself one foot in front of the other. So crazy. My only issue right now is my knees are pretty sore.

Hope everyone has a great week! I will post again next Monday!

**We are going to Jacksonville this weekend to visit my aunt. I am super excited to go but also a little nervous. It is SO hard to stay focused on weight loss while traveling. Please pray that I will not be tempted or distracted and can at least get in one good workout while I am there!

4 comments:

Skylar Apple said...

Great post! Love the breakdown of what you COULD HAVE eaten. Two lbs. is a great amount of weight for you to be losing per week, and don't get discouraged if even that becomes a little less in the weeks to come. It gets more difficult later on.

So happy for you. You're doing so well. I'll be praying for you this weekend. It is a lot more difficult when traveling. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Us said...

You are doing an amazing job! Seriously. Especially with the running and no snacking.

Jill said...

Allie I am so proud of you! I'm trying to get in better shape too. I also have my class reunion coming up, ugh! As part of that I'm trying to pay attention to what I eat because really, this is my downfall. The food part of it all is SO HARD. I'm like you on the grazing, but what is also bad for me is late night eating (a bowl of cereal, a 100 calorie pack, etc). Stick with Couch to 5K, it gets easier. I've yet to run 3.1 but I'm finally where I can run for longer "chunks" of time. I've also been using the "Lose It" app on my phone to track everything I eat. It makes me like exercising because when I thrown in exercise, it lets me eat more, haha. You're doing a great job, very inspiring to me!!!

Jill said...

Oh, ps! I want to quit running after about 3 minutes. I "trick" myself, by saying "okay let's do run for 1 more minute and see how I feel." I'm able to get a lot more out of my run that way. I know it sounds dumb but it works for me. I have a friend that runs "to the next light pole" ha :)